WDBM-FM, Michigan State University's student-run radio and media organization, is very excited to announce that it has been recognized with the 2021 Michigan Association of Broadcasters Foundation and Broadcast Music Inc. College Radio Station of the Year award. This is Impact 89FM's 17th time winning the award, which has been awarded to college stations in Michigan since the year 2000.
The gold record marking the award was presented in a virtual ceremony on Wednesday, April 7, 2021.
Students also received individual awards in a variety of broadcast-related categories, which included audio production work, news reporting, sports broadcasting, talk shows and multimedia production. All work was broadcast in the Lansing area on 88.9 FM, and it was also available online through Impact 89FM's website at impact89fm.org and social media channels.
Additionally, a number of students were recognized with broadcast scholarships at the virtual ceremony. They included:
- Amanda Barbarena — Gary A. Reid Scholarship
- Owen Oszust — Midwest Communications Southern Michigan Broadcasting Scholarship
- Evan Surace — James H. Quello Scholarship
- Ellison Winterstein — Leicinger-Biederman Scholarship
Individual Student Award Winners:
Daily Newscast/News Feature
- Honorable Mention: Impact Sports Update — Luke Sloan, Evan Surace
Pandemic Production — Spring 2020
- 2nd Place: Social Night — Spring 2020 — Maddi Farrell, George McNeill, Amber Kienutske, Devon Bosom
Pandemic Production — Fall 2020
- 2nd Place: Impact Sports — Fall 2020 — Luke Sloan
· 1st Place: Grocery Store — Evan Surace, Henry Menigoz, George McKay
Public Service Announcement
- First Place: Western Exercise — Ellison Winterstein, Henry Menigoz, George McKay, Evan Surace
- Honorable Mention: Never Too Early — Evan Surace, Henry Menigoz, Ellison Winterstein, George McKay
Sports Announcing Team
- 2nd Place: Michigan State Football vs. Indiana - 11/14/20 - Eric Bach, Nathan Stearns
- 1st Place: Backstage, Upstage — Ellison Winterstein, Noah Bosch
Use of Multimedia
- Honorable Mention: WDBM Doubleheader — Luke Sloan, Trent Balley, Eric Bach, Nathan Stearns
About Impact 89FM | WDBM-FM:
Impact 89FM is one of the largest student organizations on the campus of Michigan State University, with over 150 students in paid or volunteer staff roles. It operates as a 24-hour broadcast and online media organization, with funding coming from the students of Michigan State University. MSU Student Radio traces its heritage back to the 1950s with the first AM carrier current stations which broadcast in the residence halls. On February 24, 1989, Impact 89FM started broadcasting on 88.9 FM in the Lansing market under the call letters WDBM. A web stream and online presence were added on October 5, 1999.
Leaders at the radio station pride themselves not only on the quality of the broadcast and online programming, but also the opportunities offered to the staff of the station. Every student who expresses an interest, is willing to devote the necessary time, and follows the station guidelines has the opportunity to be part of the organization.