This year, 10 faculty members have been awarded the title of University Distinguished Professor in recognition of their exceptional teaching abilities, prominent record of public service, and scholarly, creative and artistic achievements.
The MSU Board of Trustees voted and approved the faculty members to receive the honor, after recommendations from the provost and president, during its meeting on June 18. The title is one of the highest honors that can be bestowed to a faculty member by the university.
Along with the honor comes a stipend of $5,000 per year for five years to support professional activities, in addition to individuals’ salaries.
The designations are effective immediately. A reception to honor those with the newly appointed title will be held on Nov. 18.
The newly named University Distinguished Professors are:
- Susan Barman: Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Human Medicine; professor, Department of Neuroscience, College of Natural Science
- Federica Brandizzi: MSU Foundation Professor, MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory Science Director - Department of Energy Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, College of Natural Science
- Kalyanmoy Deb: Koenig Endowed Chair Professor Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering
- Manoochehr Koochesfahani: Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Joseph Krajcik: Lappan-Phillips Professor of Science Education, Department of Teacher Education, College of Education; director of the CREATE for STEM Institute, College of Natural Science
- Robert Last: Barnett Rosenberg Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Department of Plant Biology, College of Natural Science
- Kenneth Merz: Joseph Zichis Chair, Department of Chemistry; Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Natural Science
- Thomas Reardon: Professor, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Randall Schaetzl: Professor, Department of Geography, Environment and Spatial Sciences, College of Social Science
- George Sundin: Professor, Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, College of Agriculture and Natural Resource