Ten Michigan State University faculty have been named University Distinguished Professor in recognition of their outstanding achievements in teaching, research and public service.
The designations were recommended by Interim Provost Thomas D. Jeitschko, Ph.D., and Interim President Teresa K. Woodruff, Ph.D., and approved by the MSU Board of Trustees at its June 16 meeting. Designations were effective immediately.
The recognition is among the highest honors that can be bestowed on a faculty member by the university. Those selected for the title have been recognized nationally and internationally for their exceptional teaching, outstanding record of public service, and scholarly and creative achievements.
Individuals holding the professorship will receive, in addition to their salary, a stipend of $5,000 per year for five years to support professional activities.
A reception to honor the newly designated University Distinguished Professors will be held on Nov. 28.
The newly named University Distinguished Professors are:
- Michael Boivin: Professor and Director of Research, Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology & Ophthalmology, College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Henry (Rique) Campa III: Professor, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and the Graduate School
- Rebecca Campbell: Professor, Department of Psychology, College of Social Science
- Patricia Edwards: Professor, Department of Teacher Education, College of Education
- Leonard Fleck: Professor, Center for Bioethics and Social Justice, College of Human Medicine; Department of Philosophy, College of Arts and Letters
- Rufus Issacs: Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Entomology, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Ecology, Evolution and Behavior Program, College Natural Sciences
- Richard Lenski: John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor, Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Departments of Integrative Biology and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, College of Natural Science
- Merry Morash: Professor, School of Criminal Justice, College of Social Science
- Edward Walker: Professor, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, College of Natural Science; and Department of Entomology, AgBioResearch
- Felicia Wu: John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor, Departments of Food Science and Human Nutrition and Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources