WKAR receives multiple awards, including TV, radio honor
WKAR was named both Michigan Public Television Station of the Year and Public Radio Group One Station of the Year for 2018 by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters at the Broadcast Excellence Awards ceremony held on March 6 at the Lansing Center.
The stations serving Michigan’s capital region also won numerous awards, including 12 Best in Category awards and six Merit awards.
“It’s an honor to be recognized by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters and our peers,” said Susi Elkins, WKAR director of broadcasting and general manager. "Our best work is made possible because of the support of our audiences and community partners, and we strive every day to serve them with the quality content they deserve.”
This year marks the seventh time in eight years that WKAR has been named Public TV Station of the Year, and the first time the public broadcaster has been named Public Radio Station of the Year.
More than 940 entries from 83 Michigan stations and companies were judged this year by members of the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. Find WKAR’s awards below:
In the Public Television division, the WKAR Best in Category awards are:
- Community Involvement – In Our Community
- Marketing Materials & Promos – BackStage Pass
- Mini-Documentary or Series - WKAR Family
- Station of the Year - WKAR-TV
- Membership Appeal - Give Green Day
- Cultural Programming - BackStage Pass - The Go Rounds
- Use of New Media - Interns Instagram Takeover
The TV Merit awards are:
- Marketing Materials & Promos - Family Fun Day with Julia
- Sports- Outdoor or Recreation - Sparty Time!
- Special Interest - Curious Crew
- News or Public Affairs Special - Off The Record
In Public Radio Group One, the WKAR Best in Category awards are:
- Station of the Year - WKAR News That Matters, Music That Inspires
- Feature/Use of Medium - Return of "El Chayo"
- Marketing Materials & Promos - Morning Edition Campaign
- Mini-Documentary or Series - Making The Grade In Michigan 2018
- News Special or Public Affairs Program - MSU's Moment of Reckoning
The Radio Merit awards are:
- Hard News & Current Events Story - Evacuation Orders
- Marketing Materials & Promos - Classical Spark Campaign