MSU Police honors local community and state partners during annual awards ceremony
Ten community members were honored by the Michigan State University Police Department for assisting the department with successfully making the community a safer place.
The awards were presented during the department’s annual ceremony which acknowledges staff, community members and local agencies who have made positive contributions to the community and the department through their actions.
“Our department could not be successful without the support and assistance from our partners and community members,” Police Chief Jim Dunlap said. “Their diligence, expertise and collaboration with us is a huge benefit to the greater community. Making MSU’s campus and surrounding area a safer place is our goal and we are pleased to recognize these wonderful individuals for the roles they’ve played in that mission.”
- For assistance helping prosecute and convict Larry Nassar of sexual assault, the following people were honored:
- Attorney General Bill Schuette received the Meritorious Service and Leadership Award.
- Chris Allen, Robyn Liddell, Angela Povilaitis, and Rebekah Snyder from the Attorney General’s office received the Meritorious Service Award.
- Kevin Bryan from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services received the Meritorious Service Award.
- Detective Annie Harrison, Ingham County Sheriff’s Office, received the Meritorious Service Award for her assistance with child forensic interviews.
- Angela Olson, from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Association of Michigan, also received the Meritorious Service Award.
- Jill Gutkowski, a CATA bus driver, was honored with a Citation Award for helping the department locate a wanted fugitive during one of her shifts.
- Robin Smith, an Ingham County 911 dispatcher, received the Life Saving Award for her assistance in preventing a suicide.
The Meritorious Service Award is for an instance a person who has by diligent effort been personally responsible for the effective conclusion of an incident.
The Citation Award is given to an individual who has advanced the department goals of excellence, courtesy, community team policing or customer service.
The Life Saving Award is for an employee or citizen who applied first aid or rescue techniques to save the life of another.