The Michigan State University Board of Trustees has set a timeline to select a new university president by June 2019. The announcement follows months of strategic planning, including the board’s recent selection of Teresa Sullivan, University of Virginia President, to advise the presidential search process.
Trustees Dianne Byrum and Melanie Foster are leading the search.
“Finding the right president for Michigan State and completing the search in accord with this newly established timeline are critical steps for MSU and its future,” said Sullivan, retiring president of the University of Virginia and a MSU alumna. “I look forward to working with the Board of Trustees and stakeholders in the Spartan community as they seek to attract a great leader for the next chapter in the life of Michigan State University.”
As a first step in the presidential search process, the Board of Trustees will gather input from community stakeholders in both small and large groups starting in mid-July and continuing into October. The public can follow the search as it progresses at www.msu.edu/presidentialsearch.
“We are approaching this process as one Spartan community and look forward to learning the qualities and characteristics our students, faculty, staff and other key stakeholders consider most important in their next MSU president,” said Byrum. “We must find broad agreement and have a common understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges facing our community.”
The presidential search timeline includes:
- July-October 2018: Host listening sessions with stakeholders
- July 2018: Issue request for proposals from presidential search firms
- August 2018: Form the search committee
- September 2018: Conduct search firm interviews and make a selection
- October 2018: Finalize the position profile and make public
- November 2018-January 2019: Identify candidates and conduct initial interviews
- February-May 2019: Host finalist interviews with the Board of Trustees
- June 2019: Announce the selection of the new MSU president
“Our board is committed to listening and learning from our entire community to ensure we have a comprehensive, inclusive and successful search for MSU’s next president,” said Foster. “I look forward to working with our Spartan family as we make this very important decision about the future of our university.”