MSU faculty members awarded distinguished professor title
Ten Michigan State University professors have been named University Distinguished Professors in recognition of their achievements in the classroom, laboratory and community.
The Board of Trustees voted on and approved the recommendations on June 21. The designations were effective immediately.
This recognition is among the highest honors that can be bestowed on a faculty member by the university. Those selected for the title have been recognized nationally and internationally for the importance of their teaching, research and outreach achievements.
Individuals holding the professorship will receive, in addition to their salary, a stipend of $5,000 per year for five years to support professional activities.
A reception to honor the newly designated University Distinguished Professors will be held on Nov. 2. Invitations will be sent early fall semester.
The newly named University Distinguished Professors are:
- Shanker Balasubramaniam: Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering; associate chair, Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering, College of Engineering
- Pero Dagbovie: Professor, Department of History, College of Social Science; associate dean, the Graduate School
- Thomas Dietz: Professor, Department of Sociology, College of Social Science; professor of environmental science and policy; professor of animal studies; Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability
- Diane Ebert-May: professor, Department of Plant Biology, College of Natural Science
- Asgerally Fazleabas: Professor and associate chair for research, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Health, College of Human Medicine; director, Center for Women’s Health; co-director, Reproductive and Developmental Sciences Program
- Gregg Howe: MSU Foundation Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Natural Science; MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
- Venkatesh Kumar Kodur: Professor and chairperson, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering; director, Center on Structural Fire Engineering and Diagnostics
- Douglas Landis: Professor, Department of Entomology, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Mark Meerschaert: Professor, Department of Statistics and Probability, College of Natural Science
- Sandi Smith: Professor, Department of Communication, College of Communication Arts and Sciences