Spartan Engineering celebrates the contributions of science and engineering Feb. 18-25
In honor of National Engineers Week, Michigan State University will celebrate the contributions of engineering by providing students with dynamic career networking opportunities, while introducing young people to the potential of engineering as a career.
EWeek at MSU runs from Feb. 18-25. The 2018 national theme is Inspiring Wonder.
"All week the college will serve as host to professional, career and celebratory events to honor the disciplines and study of engineering," said Garth Motschenbacher, director of employer relations in the College of Engineering. "Our Eweek sponsors are the Engineering Society of Detroit, Norfolk Southern, Quicken Loans, Lansing 5:01, General Motors, and ZF."
Among the scheduled events are:
- Noon to 4 p.m., annual Spartan Engineering Day at Impression 5 Science Center, Lansing. Student engineering organizations provide hands-on demonstrations on engineering principles and solutions. Hosted by the Student Engineering Council. Sponsored by Ingersoll Rand.
- Noon until the food is gone, free pizza, Engineering Building lobby. More than 800 pizza slices will be served to engineering students. Sponsored by General Motors and General Electric.
- 6 to 8 p.m., Spartan 300 Race for a Cause, Engineering Auditorium (Room 1345). Engineering student organizations race NASCAR-inspired Hot Wheels cars on a 10-foot track. Sponsored by General Motors. Proceeds will benefit the fight against Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- 3-6 p.m., Engineering Expo - Day 1, EWeek's Career Fair, Engineering Building, featuring companies representing IT, computing, consulting, civil and environmental engineering and construction. Display tables with company representatives will be in the 200 and 300 wings on the first and third floors of the Engineering Building. MSU Engineering will host 150+ unique companies during the two Engineering Expo Days, which is now "sold out" for company participation.
- 5:30 to 8 p.m., Evening with Executives, Spartan Stadium, Huntington Club. Hors d'oeuvres will be served as students network with 20 industry executives and participate in a facilitated Q & A. Some of the college's top student awards and $15,000 in scholarships will be presented. Students can still register for Evening With Executive at Handshake.
- 3 to 6 p.m., Engineering Expo - Day 2, EWeek's Career Fair, Engineering Building, featuring graduate school opportunities along with companies representing automotive, energy, biomedical, manufacturing, electrical, high tech, supply chain, technical sales, and packaging. Display tables will be in the 200 and 300 wings on the first, second, and third floors of the Engineering Building. MSU Engineering will host 150+ unique companies during the two Engineering Expo Days, which is now "sold out" for company participation.
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2018 CHEMS Symposium Day, Brody Square. See presentations of innovative research in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science. Sponsored by Dow.
- 5 to 9 p.m., Junk Yard Wars, IM West. What can you do with four hours and a bag of junk? Bring imagination, innovation, and spirit and come find out.
- 1 to 4 p.m., (sorry - registration now filled), Introduce a Girl to Engineering, Engineering Building and Anthony Hall. 500+ students in 4th-8th grades will explore science and engineering through five fun, supervised activities. Students will have the opportunity to choose from 24 activities led by faculty, students, staff, and corporate volunteers. Hosted by Women in Engineering Recruitment and K-12 Outreach Office. Sponsored by General Motors, MDOT, Eaton, and Detroit Diesel.
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., 2018 Michigan VEX Robotics State Championships, Jenison Field House. 500 competitors from 48 high school and 28 middle school teams will vie for a trip to VEX World Championships in Kentucky, April 25-28. This year's game, In The Zone, requires teams to move cones and movable goals using robots they have built and programmed with the VEX Robotics systems.
- 8:30 to 10 p.m., Broomball, Munn Ice Arena