MSU Music presents a broad-ranging musical revue
For fans of a variety of music styles or members of the community who want a chance to explore something new, the MSU College of Music is proud to present "A Fairchild Fanfare" on Saturday, Sept. 15 at 8 p.m. in MSU Auditorium’s Fairchild Theatre.
As the kick off concert of the MSU Federal Credit Union Showcase Series, this show features jazz, new music, opera and chamber music in short segments, covering all corners of the College of Music.
MSU artist-faculty and students will present representative gems for voice, jazz, percussion, brass, piano, strings and woodwinds. With a variety of instruments and types of performances, there will be music selections for every taste in a fast-paced musical montage that will surely keep listeners entertained. And, if concert-goers have yet to experience the acoustically superior hall that is the Fairchild Theatre, this is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about this intimate concert setting, nearby in the community with easy, free parking and not a bad seat in the house.
“Fairchild Theatre is a world-class venue to experience a great variety of musical offerings,” says Jim Forger, dean of the College of Music. “This exciting program pulls talent from just about every area in our college. This event provides music sound bites of an exciting concert schedule that will unfold throughout the coming year.”
- Trumpet sextet: Ewazen – Concert Fanfare
- Jazz quintet:Coltrane – Impressions
- Marimba duo: Vinao – movement IV, Dance Groove Drifting, from Book of Grooves
- Chamber trio; horn, tuba, piano: Kellaway – Dance of the Ocean Breeze
- Chamber duo; flute, piano: Moquet – movement I and II from The Flute of the Pan
- Solo Piano: Chopin – Polonaise in f-sharp minor, Op.44
- Solo voice; soprano with piano: Puccini – O Mio Babbino Caro from "Gianni Schicchi"
- Chamber trio; bass-baritone, violin, piano: Hayes – Danny Boy
- Solo voice; soprano with piano: Gershwin – Die Lorelei from "Pardon My English"
- Solo voice; tenor with piano: Puccini – Nessun Dorma from "Turandot"
- Chamber quartet; piano, cello, viola, violin: Brahms – movements I and II, Piano Quartet in G minor, Op.25
This concert is part of the MSU Federal Credit Union Showcase Series and is generously sponsored by Drs. Lou A. and Roy J. Simon.
Tickets are $20 for adults, $18 for seniors (age 60 and older) and $10 for students with ID and anyone under 18, and can be purchased online at music.msu.edu. Tickets can also be purchased at the door or at the College of Music box office by calling (517) 353-5340 or in person at 333 W. Circle Drive, East Lansing.