'It’s On Us' sexual assault action week features events to empower students
Michigan State University students, faculty and community partners will participate in several empowering and educational events during the "It’s On Us" Week of Action from Oct. 23-27.
As part of its ongoing commitment to prevent, respond to and educate students about relationship violence and sexual misconduct, MSU is hosting events to raise awareness around relationship violence, sexual violence, sex/gender discrimination and sexual harassment. Featured events on Thursday and Friday will include Alan Berkowitz, an internationally recognized expert on bystander theory and behavior, violence prevention and social justice issues.
"It’s On Us" was started in 2014 by the White House to enable all members of campus communities to take a stand against sexual violence. The national week of action occurs each fall with many student groups, including ASMSU, COGS and UAB, taking part. The effort supports multiple ongoing programs at MSU about relationship violence and sexual misconduct.
“The events this week are focused on gaining a better understanding of the issues of relationship violence and sexual misconduct on campus and empowering our community to take action,” said Jessica Norris, MSU’s Title IX director. “MSU is committed to fostering a community of care and respect, and this week represents a continued call to action as we build a culture that upholds our Spartan values.”
Events for the week include:
- Self-Care Yoga: Monday, Oct. 23 from 7-8 p.m. at the IM Circle Ballet Studio
- UAB Study Break – Snacks, Crafts & Therapy Dogs: Tuesday, Oct. 24 from 6-8 p.m. at the MSU Union East Lawn and Basement
- Giveaways & Selfie Spot with Sparty: Wednesday, Oct. 25 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at The Rock
- ASMSU Pledge Drive: Wednesday, Oct. 25 from 6-8 p.m. at the MSU Union Lounge
- Faculty/Staff Roles & Donut Holes: Thursday, Oct. 26 from 9:30-11 a.m. at the Music Building room 141
- Ice Cream Social Norming: Thursday, Oct. 26 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Wells Hall room B119
- Student Leadership Institute: Friday, Oct. 27 from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the MSU Union
Sponsors and partners of this year’s "It’s On Us" events include: Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education, Associated Students of Michigan State University, Center for Gender in Global Context, Council of Graduate Students, Freshman Class Council, Greek Life, Junior Class Council, MSU Alumni Association, MSU Athletics, MSU Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, MSU Police, MSU Safe Place, MSU School of Social Work, MSU Sexual Assault Program, Office of Institutional Equity, Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, Research Consortium on Gender - based Violence, Residential and Hospitality Services, Residential College in the Arts and Humanities Language Center, Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Prevention Program, Sexual Violence Advisory Committee, Student Health Services, and University Activities Board.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/ItsOnUsMSU/.