2017 Global Focus photo contest winners
This year’s Global Focus photo competition highlights original photographs taken by Spartans who have traveled the world.
Now in its 19th year, the international photo contest recognizes Michigan State University faculty, staff, students and alumni who have captured exceptional images while abroad for work, study or personal travel.
The images were judged on a variety of factors including creativity, relevance to MSU’s international mission and quality. A panel of Spartan judges reviewed nearly 150 entries before deciding on the first, second and third place winners in three categories: Student, Faculty/Staff and Alumni. The People’s Choice winners were selected by the public through the International Studies and Programs website.
The following is a list of winners:
- First place: “Silk road” by Zhaofeng Li
- Second place: “At the Rim of Mount Rinjani” by Amor Patria
- Third place: “Nomad” by Hogeun Park
- People's Choice: “Solitude in Nature” by Noushin Mahmood
- First place: “Todos somos americanos” by Daniel Trego
- Second place: “History between walls” by Syed Haider
- Third place: “Rosses Point” by Leigh Wolf
- People's Choice: "John Paul II in Krakow” by Michelle Kaminski
- First place: “Bike at Midnight” by Craig Willem Burgers
- Second place: “Flower Boy” by Pa Vang
- Third place: “The Mechanic” by Philip Milner
- People's Choice: “Don’t jump!” by Stephanie Milosavlevski
The winning photos will be displayed in MSU’s International Center lobby and featured in the MSU International magazine and other university publications to promote international awareness and understanding.
View this year’s 12 winning images on the ISP website.
For more information or questions about the competition please contact Danielle Fowler or call (517) 884-2131.