MSU debate team’s competitive season begins
The three-time national champion MSU debate team will argue the pros and cons of establishing national health insurance in the United States during the 2017-18 competitive season that begins today.
“It’s always interesting debating a topic that is being questioned at the federal level simultaneous to our competitive season,” said Will Repko, head coach of the debate team.
The 2017-18 debate season begins with a tournament at Georgia State University.
This year, the team consists of 18 undergraduate students with majors ranging from zoology and biosystems engineering to political science and professional writing.
The team heads into the 2017-18 competitive season after finishing in the top 16 out of 78 teams at last year’s National Debate Tournament. Honors College physics and mathematics sophomore Evan Runburg and his teammate, social relations and public policy sophomore Luc Walkington, secured that ranking.
The full debate team schedule is as follows:
- Georgia State University, Sept. 15-19
- University of Kentucky, Sept. 29-Oct. 3
- Wayne State University, Oct. 20-23
- Gonzaga University, Oct. 27-Oct. 31
- Wake Forest University, Nov. 10-14
- University of California-Berkeley, Jan. 2-10
- University of Miami, Jan. 3-8
- Indiana University, Jan. 19-22
- University of Texas, Feb. 2-6
- D5 Districts, Feb. 23-25
The National Debate Tournament is scheduled for Wichita, Kansas, March 21-March 27. The MSU debate team is a part of the Honors College.